Inland Spousal Sponsorship
The Inland Spousal Sponsorship is designed to allow Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their spouses or common-law partners to live with them permanently in Canada. To apply for this visa program, your partner must be already in Canada and holding a temporary resident status (working, studying, or visiting) in Canada.
You can apply under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class if your spouse or common-law partner cohabits (lives) with you in Canada.
As a sponsor, you must be able to prove that you
- Are legally a citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- Are at least 18 years old;
- Can provide the basic needs for you and your family, including food, clothing, and shelter;
- Can support your spouse/partner financially; and
- Can ensure that your spouse/partner does not need to ask for financial help from the Canadian government.
Although there is no minimum income requirement to sponsor your partner, unless you are sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own, you need to sign in an undertaking to prove that you commit to:
- providing financial support for your sponsored family members, starting when they become permanent residents
- repaying any provincial social assistance your sponsored family members get during that time
Your spouse/ partner’s eligibility
Your spouse/ partner must:
- Be currently in Canada.
- Have a legal status to live temporarily in Canada. It can be a student, temporary worker, or visitor visa.
- Your spouse or common-law partner can’t become a permanent resident in Canada if they’re inadmissible for any reason other than not having legal immigration status in Canada.
- Before applying, your spouse or common-law partner in Canada must resolve any other situation that made them inadmissible.
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant R#519955
Kunal Thakur is a passionate Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), holding close to two decades of immigration experience, during which he has successfully guided thousands of immigrants in their immigration journey. He is quick in responding to client queries and would always give his clients the right advice. Kunal also brings immense value in all his talks and discourses on immigration and when not in front of his laptop reading and analysing client cases he could be seen exploring new places and trying new things. Kunal is currently based in Adelaide, Australia. You can book a time with him here.