Home Child Care Provider Pilot

This program is designed for those who wants to work as a home child care provider (National Occupational Classification code 4411). Depending on your experience, you might be eligible to apply for temporary work permit or permanent residence.

Benefits of this programs:

  • Applicants can work for any employers in Canada under the same occupation.
  • Applicants’ family members can be included in the application.
  • If applicants do not have enough experience to qualify for permanent residence in Canada, they can apply for temporary work permit to work in Canada until they get have enough experience to apply for permanent residence.

Applicants for this program must have:

  • Job Offer: Applicants must have a valid and genuine job offer at the time of application.
  • Experience: At least 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada in the 36 months before they apply. Temporary work permits are available for those who do not meet this requirement.
  • Occupation: must be in NOC 4411, which is Home child care provider:
    • They must care for children under the age of 18 in their own home or in their employer’s home.
    • They don’t need to live in their employer’s home to qualify.
    • Experience as a foster parent doesn’t count.
  • Language: The minimum language skill is CLB 5 in English or NLCL 5 in French for all 4 language skills.
  • Education: Completed post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year in Canada. If applicants don’t have a Canadian education credential, they need to get their foreign education credential assessed to show that it’s equal to a completed Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year.


How to apply

Home childcare providers – NOC 4411

Example titles

  • Babysitter
  • Child care live-in caregiver
  • Child care provider – private home
  • Nanny
  • Parent’s helper


  • Babysitter – fitness centre
  • Babysitter – shopping centre
  • Foster parent


  • Child care workers – daycare
  • Live-in caregivers for seniors and persons with disabilities


Main duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:

  • Supervise and care for children in employer’s or own residence
  • Bathe, dress and feed infants and children
  • Prepare formulas and change diapers for infants
  • Plan, prepare and serve meals for children and may perform other housekeeping duties
  • Oversee children’s activities, such as meals and rest periods, as instructed by employer
  • Maintain a safe and healthy environment in the home
  • Instruct children in personal hygiene
  • Tend to the emotional well-being of children and support their social development
  • Discipline children according to the methods requested by the parents
  • Provide age-appropriate educational training through organized activities such as games, crafts, reading and outings
  • Take children to and from school and appointments
  • May be required to keep records of daily activities and health information regarding each child.

Foster parents

  • Care for foster children, usually on an emergency or temporary basis, as a primary guardian under general direction of foster parent agency
  • Consult foster parent agency supervisors for advice and when problems arise
  • Administer foster care programs for foster children, as directed by foster parent agency social workers.

Employment requirements

  • Completion of secondary school may be required.
  • Home child care providers, parent’s helpers and foster parents may require completion of a training program in child care or a related field.
  • Child care or household management experience may be required.
  • Demonstrated ability to perform work is usually required.
  • First aid certification and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) training may be required.