Inland Spousal/Common-Law Sponsorship Open Work Permit

The open work permits are limited to applicants living in Canada who have submitted an application under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class, and who have temporary resident status or are eligible to restore their temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker) and live at the same address as their sponsor.

With this open work permit, you can work full time for any employers in any location in Canada.


To be eligible for this open work permit, the applicants must be applying for have applied for permanent residency sponsorship from within Canada through the inland stream of the spousal sponsorship program.

How to apply

If you have not submitted your sponsorship application

You can submit the sponsorship, the permanent residence application, and the work permit at the same time in 1 envelop. This must be accompanied with the appropriate fees. Applications must be sent by mail or courier only to the following address:

By mail

In-Canada Sponsorship

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

CPC – Mississauga

P.O. Box 5040, Station B

Mississauga, Ontario L5A 3A4

By courier

Case Processing Centre – Mississauga

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

2 Robert Speck Parkway, Suite 300

Mississauga, Ontario L4Z 1H8

If you have already submitted an application for permanent residence but have not yet applied for an open work permit

you can complete the work permit application. Send your completed application, along with the appropriate fee, to:

Case Processing Centre – Edmonton

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Work permits for spouses or common-law partners, Station 777

9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55

Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4C3

If you already have approval in principle for your permanent residence application

If you have already received approval in principle on your permanent residence application—meaning you have received a letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada stating you meet the permanent residence eligibility requirements, but you (or your family members) have not yet passed the medical, security and background checks—you may apply for an open work permit online.